Rhythm Kids Music Class
Big kids know what they like. Telling silly stories. Playing games. Being in charge. Designed specifically for Kindergarten through 2nd grade students, our active Rhythm Kids classes for big kids tap into how children this age are wired to learn, with music games, animal rhythm stories, and lots of stomping-flying-climbing fun.
In each weekly music class, we drum, sing, move, and play to rhythms inspired by musical traditions around the world, from West African Gahu, to Japanese Taiko, to Brazilian Samba, just to name a few.
Students learn to compose, choreograph, and conduct as they play—and play with!—a variety of musical instruments: West African djembe drums, percussion instruments, and, the most important instruments of all, their voices and their bodies. As your big kid learns to think and create like a musician, they’ll also build musical connections to the global community. Classes include:
- immersion in the musical language of many cultures
- playful music games with rules
- opportunities to lead, balanced with opportunities to collaborate
- deep exposure to complex, fun, and rockin' music
- many chances to solo, improvise, and work in ensembles
- rich, creative experimentation and expression, improvisation, and innovation
“I truly credit this amazing programming with giving my daughter’s innate musicality a formal grounding. . . Not to mention the other developmental benefits she has received!” —Rhythm Kids parent, Ohio